SWEET & SPICY TERIYAKI BEEF JERKY
This is the jerky you can't put down! Absolutely scrumptious melt-in-your-mouth sweet & spicy "teriyaki beef jerky" with great pull & sweet chew but also smooth like butter! My #1 requested gift during the holidays!!
1 Large "2 Pound" FLANK STEAK (this cut makes the ultimate beef jerky) and make sure you cut against the grain!! NOTE: You can use whatever cut of meat you like, we just LOVE what the flank cut turns into...deliciously chewy yet soft & MOUTH WATERING!!! I USUALLY quadruple this recipe at Christmas time!!!
NOTE: The tamari, teriyaki, and beer can be used in different amounts for different endings - EXAMPLE: if you want a thicker sweeter teriyaki flavor exchange the 1/4 cup beer for 1/4 cup more teriyaki. You can create different flavor profiles by switching these ingredients around. The beer lightens it up, while the tamari and teriyaki thicken and create a deeper flavor! Just end with approximately 3/4 cup to your liking. You can always taste your marinades before adding the meat!
- Preheat oven to your lowest setting! Mine is 170 degrees...I do not think they go lower. The "Baking" setting OR the "Convection" setting both work.
- Prepare your flank steak by removing and cutting off all the FAT! Get off as much as you possibly can! Any thick sections of solid fat need to be removed! Only a tiny amount of marbled fat should remain throughout the entire piece of meat! You can freeze it for a few minutes to make it easier to cut but is not necessary.
- Slice flank steak in 1/4 inch thin/long pieces (or a tiny bit thinner) and MUST be cut against the grain! You can also cut at a slant to make each piece wider! Gather all your meat slices including the smaller pieces and place in a bowl! Use your fat scraps for soup stock!
- Mix marinade...1/4 cup tamari, 1/4 cup teriyaki, 1/4 cup beer (or any mixed up version of that) 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, 2 packed tablespoons brown sugar, 5 crushed cloves fresh garlic, and 1 teaspoon finely crushed black pepper. Stir together and pour over meat! Let sit for approximately 30 minutes in refrigerator. This is a thicker/stronger marinade, no need to soak meat long...even 5 minutes works for a lighter coverage!!
- Lay the jerky out on a standard size baking tray lined with metal racks to keep the jerky off the floor of the pan. ANY oven safe metal racks will work get creative. This will allow air to circulate all around the meat! You can turn the meat during cooking if needed!
- Bake in your oven on the lowest setting (around 170 degrees) for approximately 3 1/2 to 4 hours! You will have to decide how soft/dried/hard/crispy you want your jerky to be...we like ours on the softer side! Also the amount of time will vary...you will have to make sure each piece is dry and baked through. If you cut meat too thick times could be extended... cut the meat too thin times could be shortened. Just pay attention and keep checking it. You will be able to see when each piece is done.
- Let jerky cool completely and store in an airtight container in your refrigerator! I am not concerned about STORING this for long periods of time that is not what this recipe is about! This recipe is for eating immediately (because I promise you won't have it long) and should be treated like regular meat and stored in your refrigerator.
You can adjust this recipe to your liking once you get the hang of the marinade. You can adjust all the liquids, the amount of pepper, sugar, and garlic to make it spicier, milder, or less sweet!!
I make this jerky as an appetizer for holiday parties...there is NEVER ANY LEFT!
The directions posted here are for the OVEN recipe...but you can certainly use this recipe in a dehydrator, or in a smoker outdoors after you marinade the meat!